Re: [avr-libc-dev] sfr_defs.h and -mint8

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] sfr_defs.h and -mint8
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:59:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Tomas Vanek wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please don't waste your time explaining me a global statement that
> avr-libc is basically not compatible with -mint8. I know about it and I
> agree with it.

Compatible or not, I don't think it will hurt to clean things up where
possible.

> <sfr_defs.h> declares 16-bits registers as unsigned int. This is big
> trouble when using -mint8. If you think that it is worth to switch
> <sfr_defs.h> to <inttypes.h> types, here is the patch.

This looks fairly obvious and transparent to the end user. I have no
objections.

> The question is where and when to include <inttypes.h>. It might be
> better included in <io.h>, however I'd prefer including it in
> <sfr_defs.h> when __ASSEMBLER__ is not defined. I believe it makes no harm.

I don't see any better place to include it. I think I agree that it
should only be included when __ASSEMBLER__ is not defined since C
types don't make much sense in assembler code.

If there's no other objections, I'll commit your patch to HEAD
tomorrow. I think the patch is also safe for the 1.0 branch too.

Ted Roth