[avr-libc-dev] [RFC] more -mint8 changes for pgmspace.h

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] more -mint8 changes for pgmspace.h
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:08:44 -0700 (PDT)

The attached patch should make the pgmspace.h header safer in most
uses.

There's still some warts with the prog_* typedefs though.

The most controversial change is the removal of defining the pgm_*_far
macros to pgm_*_near. I did this because I felt that those defs break
the "principle of least surprise." Basically, if you use those and
then port to a new device (say from mega128 to mega64), your code will
compile but the result is not what you intended. Better to have to
compiler raise an error that the macro is undefined letting you know
that you code is broken.

Objections?

Ted Roth