Re: [avr-libc-dev] pgmspace.h compatibility with -mint8

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] pgmspace.h compatibility with -mint8
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:06:04 +0200

As E. Weddington wrote:

> > There is a small patch to make pgm_read_*() work with -mint8
> > switch.

> However, I don't know if this will be put into the library,
> mainly because there are large portions of the library that
> are not -mint8 comptabile, and I don't know if there will
> ever be plans to make it so.

I think consensus was that we don't want to spend time on making it
-mint8 clean, but we don't want to artificially prevent those parts to
be -mint8 clean where this can be had without additional costs, in
particular without any negative side effects on the !-mint8 case.

I didn't look at the patch so far, but if it fits into this, I don't
see a reason to not accept it.  The only nit is that it might be worth
documenting when some header file is believed to be -mint8 compatible
(because we made a global statement that »avr-libc is basically not
compatible with -mint8«).  We did some minor reorg on <inttypes.h>
before to make it -mint8 compatible.  This is documented as well.