Re: [avr-libc-dev] List spam

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] List spam
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:46:05 +0200

As Jason Kyle wrote:

> >Honestly, i'm not quite happy with members-only lists, and have
> >received spam even to such subscriptions (avr-gcc and avr-chat)
> >anyway (of course, not through the list then but through my
> >subscription addresses), so it's not a real spam protection either.

> It probably helps those that don't use spam protection.

Which i doubt.  I've received four spam messages to my avr-gcc list
subscription address this morning.  Since i'm using that NNTP gateway
(using subscription addresses different from my default email address)
i can just see that this kind of spam protection doesn't work. ;-)

(As for the avr-libc-dev and avrdude mailing lists, i currently don't
use a news gateway.  Thus i won't notice whether any of the spam i'm
receiving in my regular mail has been caused by messages sent to these
lists.  It's just the avr-gcc and avr-chat lists where i get this
feature for free due to the different subscription addresses.)

Btw., i'm getting practically no spam at all these days in the
de.sci.electronics newsgroup (which is a fairly active one with nice
people and neat discussions).  It seems spammers don't spam Usenet
anymore the way they used to do years ago.  Perhaps time to create our
own alt.comp.avr.* hierarchy there? :-)