[avr-libc-dev] RE: GCC Bootloader - Working Code

From: eric
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] RE: GCC Bootloader - Working Code
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:13:36 GMT

> Eric,
>
> I didn't notice that WinAVR was using FreeBSD Licensing.
I understand
> that it is considered easier to comply with than GNU. The
reason
> I assumed GNU was the connection with gcc. If your
intention (wrt. Boot.h)
> is to
> release under FreeBSD, I believe I won't have a problem.
(IANAL either :-) )

Technically WinAVR is nothing more than a collection of
open source projects, each having their own license. For
example, GNU Binutils, GCC, avrdude, AVaRICE, GDB are
licensed with the GPL. avr-libc is licensed with the
FreeBSD license. PN is licensed with something else (and I
discovered has recently changed licenses with new
releases.) So you have to check the license screen when you
install WinAVR for all the different licensing.

The bootloader API, boot.h, is a part of the avr-libc
project and is licensed with the FreeBSD license.

Eric Weddington

> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> (Feel free to forward to the avr-libc-dev list, I did not
because
>  I am not familiar with the follow-up protocol there.)

libc.]
> > Thanks, it looks great.
> >
> > Upon looking at your Copyright notice I have become
> concerned. I also
> > see that it is typical of the include files. I had not
> noticed that all
> > of WinAvr is not released under the GNU copyleft.
> >
> > Is this a problem? If I take your redistribution
> requirements literally
> > does it mean I have to use all of my ROM to reproduce
> copyright strings?
>
> Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. If you are concerned about
> anything in any software license, you should seek legal
> counsel who can provide you with legal interpretations.
The
> below are my personal opinions only.
>
> Two things here:
> 1. It is a Good Thing that avr-libc is not licensed under
> the GPL. If it was licensed under the GPL then anyone
could
> request copies of your source. If this is for a
commercial
> product then this may not be desirable. The avr-libc
> license, the FreeBSD license, allows you to keep your
code
> proprietary if desired, which can be desirable for a
> commercial product.
>
> 2. In the LICENSE file in the avr-libc CVS, there is this
> condition:
> ---------
> * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
> copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
following
> disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
> provided with the distribution.
> ---------
>
> Note that the copyright notice, et al. only needs to be
> reproduced in the DOCUMENTATION AND / OR OTHER MATERIALS
> provided with the distribution (emphasis added).
>
> So it is NOT necessary to reproduce (display) the
copyright
> message, etc. in the actual embedded device. You should
> reproduce the copyright message, etc. in, for example,
the