Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-boot.h

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-boot.h
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:30:36 -0700

On 30 Mar 2003 at 10:10, Alex Shepherd wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I hope to incorporate a bootloader into a Mega8 project soon and a
> search revealed the avr-boot.h file posted on this list. I'm just
> wondering if there are plans to incorporate this and maybe some more
> support routines into the avr-libc library beyond the avr-boot.h file
> posted here?
>
> Guess the only real issue here is that the Mega8 has not got much
> spare flash for a boot loader so maybe I should look to modifying the
> assembler version on AVRFreaks.
>
> Comments?

Yes there are plans.

I have renamed the file to boot.h and it will tentatively reside in
avr/include/avr, so you would use: #include <avr/boot.h>.

I am also in the middle of doing some work with pgmspace.h, with
renaming and adding some more macros to read data from flash. The
read byte routine has to be modified to work properly on the mega128
and I'm adding read word routines. The names for these functions will
also be more consistent and (hopefully) easier to remember.

The pgmspace.h work is somewhat of a prerequisite to finishing up
boot.h. The bulk of boot.h is finished and I've given out
experimental versions of it to other people who are interested and
it's worked out for other people fairly reliably. There are some
minor (but important) code optimizations that still need to be done.
However, these optimizations are targeted for the smaller platforms,
such as the mega8, so it could be important for you.

I'm hoping to submit the new pgmspace.h within a week or two for
review and a new boot.h within a couple of weeks after that.

If you want, I can send you the boot.h that I have now, if you don't
mind working with experimental versions.

Eric Weddington