Re: [avr-libc-dev] [Bug #2839] PRG_RDB not in documentation

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [Bug #2839] PRG_RDB not in documentation
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:50:37 -0700

On 17 Mar 2003 at 13:32, address@hidden wrote:

> =================== BUG #2839: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=2839&group_id=2
> 140
>
> Changes by: Theodore A. Roth <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon 03/17/03 at 10:32 (US/Pacific)
>
>             What     | Removed                   | Added
> -----
>             Category | Library                   | Documentation
>             Severity | 5 - Major                 | 1 - Ordinary
>           Resolution | None                      | Fixed
>          Assigned to | None                      | troth
>               Status | Open                      | Closed
>

> ------------------ Additional Follow-up Comments
> ---------------------------- It is now documented.
>
> BTW: What the heck does PRG_RDB mean? This is not a very intuitive
> name.

This is stickler for me too. I've been wanting to ask if we can
change this name / API for awhile.

PRG_RDB means: PRoGram (space) ReaD Byte = Read a byte from the
Flash.

IMO, through conditionals, there should just be 1 function / symbol
that will read a byte from anywhere in the flash. Right now in
pgmspace.h, there's __LPM and __ELPM but PRG_RDB is not switched to
point to __ELPM so PRG_RDB won't be completely valid for mega128.
Then there's the inline definitions, but are these valid anyway
because the define to the macros which are inline assembly anyways...

I would also like this cleaned up because it affects the bootloader
support API (boot.h) that I have to submit. Right now I repeat the
read byte functionality in my boot.h.

And well.... I suppose it's time.... I'll volunteer to rewrite and
submit some new pgmspace.h stuff. And now I'll officially ask if I
can be listed as developer and have CVS write access to avr-libc.