Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: sample makefile

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: sample makefile
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:21:51 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> > Hmm, most Windows tools seem to be able to handle it both ways,
> > but IMHO, one of the AVRstudio versions is too stupid for it.  ...

> Not all Windows editors will handle Unix line endings (LE).

That's why i wrote `most'.  IIRC, it was the source view in AVRstudio
3.x that cannot handle it.

> I would be converting all example source files, .c, .h, makefile.
> Anything that can, would, and should be edited by a user.

I'm not sure about the normal include files.  Users might want to have
a look at them, and once Atmel is going to ELF (and stabs or DWARF),
AVRstudio might see them as well.  However, i think AVRstudio 4.x is
smarter about plain \n LEs.  (COFF debug information stands no chance
to transport names of include files, so if one of your include file
causes code to be generated, like in an inlined function, you're at a
loss.)

Maybe that's all going to be a moot point if Win CVS handles that
transparently.  Otherwise, there's currently no infrastructure yet in
the Makefiles that handles installation of the examples upon "make
install", so the command that installs the examples can certainly be
made differently for installing on Windows.  That way, you could use a
utility that changes LEs on the fly for this purpose.  (Creating this
infrastructure IMHO should become an entry of our TODO list.)