Re: sample makefile (was:Re: [avr-libc-dev] Sample project - LedFlash)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: sample makefile (was:Re: [avr-libc-dev] Sample project - LedFlash)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:29:45 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> <rant topic="off">
> Yeah well any program that has to distinguish between hardcoded tabs
> and spaces instead of just looking for whitespace is brain dead and
> should have been redesigned years ago!
> </rant>

Full agreement.  The only excuse is probably that "make" has been
invented by a time when people where happy to have "split I&D", i. e.
to be able to address a separate 64 KB address space for instructions
and another one for data. :)  Think about implementing all this on
an ATmega128 as a host platform. :-))

> Well considering all the problems I keep having with the sample
> makefile, Jörg,  if you're willing to hack it to bring it in line
> I'll be happy to have it.:-)

Yeah.  I've been asking for it...

> I don't care either way whether a sample makefile is rolled into avr-
> libc or not.

I didn't think of /the/ sample makefile, but rather of a common makefile
style between all the (upcoming & existing) example projects.

> And this brings up another point about line-endings. I know there are
> issues in WinAVR 20030115 about the Unix line endings in the avr-libc
> example sources.

Hmm, most Windows tools seem to be able to handle it both ways, but IMHO,
one of the AVRstudio versions is too stupid for it.  Except in rare
situations (like line continuation with a \ at the end of the line),
gcc and all the Unix tools would tolerate \r\n endings as well, but i'm
not too thrilled at the idea to poison all our files with CRs now. :)
(Even though Emacs handles them transparently.)

> I'm planning to do it in a script on my
> end for the next WinAVR release but, again, it might be good to make
> that platform dependent. Line ending conversion would also apply to
> any sample makefile as well.

I think that's hard to do somewhere there, because we've got no notion
about which files would need a conversion and which don't.