Re: [avr-libc-dev] HTML docs w/o JavaScript

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] HTML docs w/o JavaScript
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:59:55 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

:) Hi,
:)
:) after a discussion in a German AVR forum, i realized that the
:) JavaScript-only tree in our left frame in the HTML docs seems to
:) become a real showstopper in order to get better coverage by search
:) engines.  I therefore committed a Perl script that postprocesses the
:) generated tree, and creates a simple piece of HTML containing all the
:) links as <noscript>.  The generated HTML link list is very crude, but
:) should suffice for those who don't have / don't want JS.  I have
:) checked in lynx, links, and w3m, and Galeon with JS turned off.
:)
:) Maybe i'll convert that to awk again, after a discussion with Eric, it
:) seems awk might better match the tools he has available.
:)
:) Perhaps i'll also extend this to add <noframes> to the generated main
:) page as well.

Can your perl script generate a table of contents? It would be relatively
easy to add a link to the TOC in the header of each page.

>From there, it would be nice to be able to use the TOC to figure out the
prev and next pages for a given page and add links for those too.

I do agree that the JS tree sux. I'm not against just removing it from
user view. Only generating JS to allow TOC generation is OK with me
though.

I mostly neutral on perl vs awk. They're both hideous to read (in my
opinion ;-) but perl might be more widely used with repect to our
user/developer base.

Ted Roth