Re: [avr-libc-dev] Defining available flash area if bootloader is used

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Defining available flash area if bootloader is used
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:18:12 +0100 (CET)

> I am using a bootloader on my mega8, which works very well. Now I am
> implementing a small application. The linker stops if the
> application area is not big enough for the program. That's ok, but
> with the bootloader is the application area smaller than without.
> How can I define the available flash area for the application?

The only reliable way (with boot loader, or without) is to check
the map file or output of avr-size (text + data size must fit within
available flash size, and the linker only checks text size, so this
is not reliable: if the text section alone will fit, but text + data
will not, the linker won't complain, but the application won't work
as there is not enough room in the flash for all initialized data).

The bootloader should check the address being programmed and refuse
to overwrite itself, then you will see that the program is too big.

Hope this helps,
Marek