Re: [avr-libc-dev] Building avrlibc from CVS

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Building avrlibc from CVS
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:35:43 -0700

On 9 Jan 2003 at 10:09, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As E. Weddington wrote:
>
> > Ok I got the sources from CVS, the docs say reconf must be run if
> > gotten from CVS. My build environ, MinGW / MSYS,  doesn't come with
> > automake which is needed by reconf.
>
> Ick, yes. :-(
>
> Even worse, you'd need the non-recent versions of autoconf and
> automake, since the recent versions are largely incompatible to their
> predecessors, and only few developers seem to have followed this,
> while many others simply live with the older tools (automake 1.4,
> autoconf 2.1.3).

I'll look around for some Windows native versions of these programs.
No guarantee that I'll find them though.

> > So I'm dependent on snapshots. :-/
>
> Incidentally, i upgraded my FreeBSD ports of the entire AVR toolchain
> yesterday.  Since this includes a new snapshot of avr-libc as well,
> you can fetch the respective distfile from
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~joerg/avr-libc-2003.01.08.tar.bz2

Cool! Thanks!

> I hope you've got a bzip2 compression program around on Windows.  If
> not, please get it at http://sourceware.redhat.com/bzip2/ , they offer
> Windows binaries there as well.  Sorry, the Unix world is slowly
> moving towards bzip2 these days for its better compression ratio
> (compared to zip/deflate aka. gzip).

bzip2 is much preferred! I grabbed a Windows native version of it
awhile back. I still wonder why GNU GCC still makes snapshots with
gzip; bzip2 is a much better compressor and with today's computers,
the extra time is negligible.