[avr-libc-dev] [Bug #2043] printf() requires function 'puts()' in some

From: nobody
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [Bug #2043] printf() requires function 'puts()' in some cases
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:07:11 -0500

=================== BUG #2043: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=2043&group_id=2140

Changes by: Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden>
Date: 2002-Dec-23 00:07 (Europe/Berlin)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Fixed
         Assigned to | None                      | joerg_wunsch
              Status | Open                      | Closed

Incidentally, Brian Dean reported a similar problem to
me a few hours ago. It turns out that gcc might
optimize calls to printf() using constant strings into
calls to puts() or putchar(), so i added a bunch of
functions that are reuqired by the standard.

(I always meant to write them some day... ;-)

=================== BUG #2043: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================

Submitted by: dalewheat                 Project: AVR C Runtime Library
Submitted on: 2002-Dec-22 23:44
Category:  Library                      Severity:  5 - Major
Bug Group:  None                        Resolution:  Fixed
Assigned to:  joerg_wunsch              Originator Email:  address@hidden

Original Submission:  printf() in avr-libc?  Bestill my heart!  I love it.
However, I have found this anomaly:  When the format string does NOT contain
"\n" new line character, everything works well.  If the format string DOES
contain "\n", then the linker fails, citing an "undefined reference to puts()".
 Do I need to include my own version of puts(), just as I included my own
version of (in this example) uart_putc & uart_getc?  Thanks for the help.

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: 2002-Dec-23 00:07             By: joerg_wunsch
Incidentally, Brian Dean reported a similar problem to
me a few hours ago. It turns out that gcc might
optimize calls to printf() using constant strings into
calls to puts() or putchar(), so i added a bunch of
functions that are reuqired by the standard.

(I always meant to write them some day... ;-)

CC list is empty

No files currently attached

For detailed info, follow this link:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=2043&group_id=2140