Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: avr-libc-dev archives

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: avr-libc-dev archives
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:17:10 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> Whoa! I'm not into providing any kind of "protocol".

I didn't imply you should. ;-)

> What I'm proposing is a *low-level* API that right now a user has to
> write themselves, more of a boot loader *support* API:
>
> boot_page_fill(address, data) // Fill the temporary page write buffer
> boot_page_erase(address)      // Erase page
> boot_page_write(address)              // Write page
> boot_mem_read(address)                // Read memory byte
> boot_rww_enable()                     // Enable RWW section
> boot_lock_bits_set(__lock_bits) // Set lock bits
> boot_spm_interrupt_enable()   // Enable SPM interrupt
> boot_spm_interrupt_disable()  // Disable SPM interrupt
> is_boot_spm_interrupt()               // Check if SPM interrupt enabled
> boot_rww_busy()                               // Check if RWW section is busy
> boot_spm_busy()                               // Check if SPM is busy
> boot_spm_busy_wait()          // Wait while SPM is busy

So far, that doesn't sound bad.

In order to get some practical value out of it, i'd then like to use
that to provide a bootloader (in the "examples" section, not as part
of the library) that could talk STK500 protocol.

That way, it would be an idiot-proof test whether i could understand
your API :-)), and a bonus for the users to get an example that might
even be useful to one or the other...

> On a marketing note, implementing this in avrlibc could be a big draw
> to bring more users over to using the open source toolset. AFAIK,
> there is no API like this in other commercial offerings.

That'd be nice, certainly.