Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: avr-libc-dev archives

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: avr-libc-dev archives
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:34:58 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> > Ah, OK.  I simply couldn't imagine why one wants to do this.
>
> Plus, other people have been interested in placing data tables at a
> specific flash address. The FAQ entry could address this too.

OK, i've been playing game. :)  If this is a frequently asked question,
it should be in the FAQ, so now it is in the FAQ. ;-)  I've edited it
a bit to impersionalize the language (is this OK for people?  I'm used
to it from scientific work), and i've added a couple of xrefs to other
parts of the documentation that give a background about the concepts
used.

Well, maybe you could provide an addendum that addresses the data array
in flash memory thing?

> > I remember it, but by the time you posted it, i didn't understand it
> > (or didn't have the time to understand it ;-), and then i eventually
> > forgot about it.

> I'm still interested in getting some sort of API in this realm put
> into avrlibc, if others are interested too.

I'm not against it.  I've got some test boards with chips around that
are bootloader-capable, and i'm interested in having a bootloader that
uses a relatively `standard' protocol.  Initially, i thought about
kermit or xmodem, but i'm now more leaning towards the STK500 protocol
since this would allow the bootloader to immediately talk to any
STK500-aware programming tool.  If i get around to implement it, i don't
mind contributing it for the `examples' section.