Re: [avr-libc-dev] Just FYI

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Just FYI
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:48:21 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

:) For testing, i compiled the entire toolchain on Solaris 2.8.  All
:) works pretty well.  The generated code is identical (except that i
:) forgot to apply the patch that reverses the instruction order for
:) 16-bit word writes), avr-libc compiles and installs without problems.
:) (I didn't have doxygen there, so no doc build tested.)

I thought that patch was already committed?

:)
:) I had to compile and install via NFS which makes both, binutils and
:) gcc fall over since they attempt to write into the source tree during
:) the "make install" phase which is impossible ("install" needs to be
:) done as root, but root doesn't have write access to the source tree
:) which comes via NFS).  Only a "gmake -i install" eventually installs
:) everything that is needed.

Can't you get around being root by installing into your home directory? I
always build the tools with "--prefix=$HOME/local/avr" for just that
reason.

:)
:) Fortunately, avr-libc doesn't experience this behaviour.  The only
:) problem arising here is that it says:
:)
:) gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/net/wunsch/cross/avr-libc-2002.10.02/build'
:) Could not lock file `.make.state'; symlink(.make.state, .make.state.lock)
failed - Bad file number-- NO LOCKING for read
:)
:) Looks like a gmake problem, but since it happens after everything else
:) is done, it's unimportant.

Odd.

:)
:) So i think our cross-tools are really independent of the source
:) system.

Good to hear.

Ted Roth