Re: [avr-libc-dev] pngtopnm

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] pngtopnm
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:12:02 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> I'm attempting to build avrlibc on a Cygwin platform.(ack!) The build
> dies because it cand find pngtopnm. According to the search that I've
> done, there is no win32 executable of pngtopnm (and its inverse).

They belong to the popular netpbm graphics conversion program set.
Since netpbm basically just converts files, it should be portable
to any environment that conforms to ANSI/ISO C.

According to the FreeBSD port, netpbm sources should be found on
the Sourceforge master sites.  You need the JPEG and PNG libraries
installed in order to be able to convert from/to these formats.

> Can an alternate solution be
> found for all platforms, without trying to create a win32 version of
> pngtopnm?

Well, you can always pick the latest generated graphics files from
some other source, like the official documentation on the Web page.
They are just generated from the .fig (vector graphics) input files,
so unless these input files are changed, the generated files will
never be modified.

Do you have a ppmtogif tool for Win32?  If so, you can revert to
GIF since your Win32 build has no restrictions unlike the nongnu.org
servers that forbid to use it. ;-)  See the diffs between 1.23 and
1.24 of doc/api/Makefile.am, and 1.3 and 1.4 of doc/api/malloc.dox.
Basically, by reverting them, you'll get it all in GIF.  You need
to apply a similar patch for the doc/examples/demo part.