Re: [avr-libc-dev] gif usage

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] gif usage
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:11:14 +0100

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> Here's a simple way to add transparency to a png:
>
>   $ pngtopnm malloc-std.png > malloc-std.pnm
>   $ pnmtopng malloc-std.pnm -transparent white > test.png

Hmm. :)

I'd rather prefer if fig2dev could handle it by itself.  It seems
they're still actively developing it, http://www.xfig.org/
announces the betas for an upcoming version 3.2.4.  Since they're
already using pnmtopng internally, it shouldn't be too hard to
teach fig2dev about PNG background colors.

I tried to make a quick patch, but it doesn't work yet...

> I've attached the test.png. See if you browser can handle it.

Galeon can (that's what i'm using now).  Already Netscape 4.76
can't handle the background transparency in PNGs although it can
handle it in GIFs. :-(

> can live with this. Might need to run a check in configure that replaces
> pngtopnm and pnmtopng with cat if they aren't available on a system.

Probably, yes.  Until reading the source of fig2dev, i didn't know they
require ghostscript and netppm, i need to add this to the prerequisites
of the FreeBSD packages as well...

Please go ahead and commit that, i'll still see to send a patch to the
xfig maintainers anyway.