Re: [avr-libc-dev] Release philosofy questions

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Release philosofy questions
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:02:37 +0200

As Olof Tångrot wrote:

> What is the catch of development of libc with a stable version of
> the compiler? How shall idiots like me know what release of avr-libc
> is compatible with released compiler xxx?

As you might have noticed, avr-libc is in heavy flux all the time
since importing it into CVS on savannah.nongnu.org.  We're still not
finished with all those changes that could perhaps cause user-visible
API changes, that's the main reason why there's no newer official
version of avr-libc yet.

However, as you can read in the archives of this mailing list, we
recently discussed a strategy about things that still need to be done
until we can go forward to call the result of this process
avr-libc-1.0 (or maybe avr-libc-1.0.0).  This is to be expected
`anytime soon', well, since it's a hobbyist project, i'd say at least
before the end of the year 2002. ;-)  This was all triggered by the
rumours that gcc is going to release an official version 3.3 soon.

Sorry, for the time being, you still need to live with CVS snapshots.
You can request them for a particular date if you find the current
version is broken, like with

cvs ... co -D '2002-10-01 19:56:00' ...

Hint: The above is the date of a known-to-be-good GCC CVS snapshot,
assuming your local timezone is UTC. ;-)