Re: [avr-libc-dev] Installing avr-libc into avr-gcc 3.2

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Installing avr-libc into avr-gcc 3.2
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 17:50:08 +0200

As Stephen Noftall wrote:

> I am trying to install avr-libc into avr-gcc 3.2 directory, under
> windows. Is it as simple as getting the "make install" script to run
> properly?

Be careful.  Recent avr-libc versions require avr-gcc 3.3 in order to
compile.  This happened since gcc renamed what they originally started
as the 3.2 project into 3.3 later on (so they could release a 3.2
version that was based on the previous code).

Under Unix, yes, it's typically as simple as typing "./configure; make
install".  I don't have Windows, but guessing from what other people
have been posting (not here, but elsewhere in Usenet), unfortunately
it doesn't seem to be all that easy under Windows.  The first
prerequisite in either case is that you've got the Cygnus toolset
installed (which contains a lot of Unix tools ported to Windows).

> Has libc been incorporated into an avr-gcc distribution somewhere?

Not in the strict sense since both are fairly different projects.

But if you're asking for a Windows package that contains both, avr-gcc
and avr-libc, quite possible, but i simply don't know.  So far, i
haven't seen any link to a Windows package that contains some of the
more recent tools (like an avr-gcc 3.3 snapshot and a snapshot of a
recent avr-libc).