Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] I fixed dtostre()

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] I fixed dtostre()
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:38:49 -0600

On 10 Sep 2002 at 21:06, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> Probably not only to you :), though you need to be careful whether
> it's /really/ going to be useful to you: printf() is a fairly bloated
> function, since it'll link half of the existing libc into it,
> regardless of whether you need all its features or not.  (Though i've
> got an idea about implementing two versions of printf(), one where you
> get everything minus floating point, and one full-blown version, where
> you can select between both using a #define statement before including
> <stdio.h>.)

Good idea. I was just looking up how IAR does it for their toolset.
They have 3 versions of (s)printf according to their docs:
1. Full-blown version.
2. Medium version: no floating point. %f, %g, %G, %e, %E specifiers
produce errors.
3. Small version: same as medium except supports only the %%, %d, %o,
%c, %s and %x specifiers for int objects, and does not support "field
width" and "precision" arguments.

IAR uses linker switches to switch between versions.

> Anyway, my mere question was whether there are existing users of
> dtostre() and dtostrf() who would be bitten by rearranging their
> calling parameters.  If there are no objections, i'll just do it. --

No objections here.