Re: [avr-libc-dev] testsuite

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] testsuite
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 21:14:12 +0200

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> :) For the first version, something that just /compiles/ is certainly a
> :) step forward.

> That makes some sense. Just to clarify, you're talking about having a test
> app file which comiles and links to the library object files to create a
> ready to run rom image, right?

Perhaps not even a ``ready to run'' image, i. e. it's not necessary
that the created image is doing something useful.  The idea that comes
to mind is FreeBSDs kernel config file named ``LINT'': it's a configuration
that tries to pull every possible feature into a single Unix kernel, just
to see whether everything will still compile.  Developers doing a larger
redesign of some kernel-internal interface are then required to first
successfully compile that `LINT' kernel before they're allowed to CVS
commit their changes.

Likewise, i could imagine that we create test suites that try to
access every possible IO subsystem of the respective device, and
while it's certainly impossible to create an image that tries to
link each and every libc function (in particular for the smaller
devices), at least the entire test suite should call every documented
function (split across the tests for more than one device) so if
someone changes the calling sequence etc., breakage will be noticed.
Also, for the larger devices, an attempt should be made to really
create a large ROM image (e. g. using some larger tables etc.) so
e. g. breakage resulting from using a "rcall" where a library
function should use "XCALL" (thus causing unreachable library
functions on large devices) might be detected.  Just picking this
example since it occurred to me a couple of days before, when working
on the dtostre() function.