Re: [avr-libc-dev] doxygen.config upgrade; man pages

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] doxygen.config upgrade; man pages
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:56:40 +0200

Taking up an old thread...

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> :) I don't like the version number in the docs installation directory.
> :) We cannot have multiple instances of avr-libc installed by the same
> :) time (since the installed libs would overwrite each other), so there's
> :) IMHO not much point in versionizing the docs directory.
>
> I don't think it hurts any thing by having it. It does let you know,
> though, if the docs you are looking at are stale. Also, there's no
> other place I know off where you can get the version number of the libc
> which is installed on the system (This could be done in a header or
> something though). Thus, there's no strong argument for changing it
> (except that you don't like it ;-) and a few weak arguments for keeping it
> as is. I'd say leave it for now.

Well, it really got into my way for the FreeBSD port (which i finally
upgraded to a CVS-based version yesterday).  Since no other part of
the FreeBSD ports system installs something like
/usr/local/share/doc/${PORTNAME}-${LONG_VERSION_NUMBER}, i don't want
to do it either.  (${SHORT_VERSION_NUMBER} like "3" or "31" would
perhaps be OK.)  Right now, i need a local patch for it but i'd rather
like to avoid that.  I hope nobody would object against the attached
patch.  It leaves the installation directory as it is now by default,
but allows for a ./doconf --disable-versioned-doc override.