Re: [avr-libc-dev] quell compiler warning in malloc.c

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] quell compiler warning in malloc.c
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:22:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

:) My guess is that they didn't produce warnings with older compilers.

Probably true.

:)
:) I'm not quite happy with silencing the warnings either.  I'll have a
:) look at how much work it would be to complete the *div() function
:) support so all possible argument mixes are supported.  They're
:) basically just jump-ins to libgcc (__divmodsi4 etc.) only anyway.
:) That would allow us to use the appropriate data types throughout all
:) of these functions.
:)
:) > I think the qsort, strtol and strtoul changes should be tested before
:) > committing. If you haven't tested these, I'll help if you want.
:)
:) These tests {sh,c}ould be emulated on another target instead of the
:) AVR.  Only those marginal cases need testing where a `domain rollover'
:) in integer numbers could happen (e. g. a large unsigned integer
:) becoming interpreted as a negative integer, or vice versa).  For the
:) qsort fix, it should be possible to theroretically analyze the
:) consequences of the patch.  For the strto* functions, see above, i'd
:) prefer to reimplement them using the proper data types anyway.

Ok, I'll leave this to you then.

Let's leave the code alone (assuming it is still correct even with
warnings) until you can do want you want to do.

Go ahead and apply the patch for the malloc warning though.

Ted Roth