[avr-libc-dev] [RFC] make #includes consistent

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] make #includes consistent
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

This patch makes the headers in include/avr #include files from <avr/*.h> to
be consistent with what the user should be doing.

Does this look like a sane thing to do? I won't commit this one unless I get
some positive feed back.

On a related note (assuming the above is accepted) ...

Would there be any objections to sticking #warning messages in the files in
include/ which just redirect down into include/avr/ ? The messages would
just say something like:

  #warning "Deprecated: you should #include <avr/foo.h> instead"

This would start getting the users to convert to the new usage and we could
possibly remove the files after a few stable releases. In the release just
before removal we could add a warning as such (in addition to the above
warning):

  #warning "This file is scheduled to be removed in the next stable release."

On a vaguely related note...

I just noticed that there are some source files which include the following
files:

  stdio.h
  limits.h
  sys/types.h
  stddef.h
  sys/systemcfg.h

These files are not part of avr-libc, but are supplied by gcc. Should we
even be #include'ing these? Should we supply our own versions which trump
the gcc supplied files?

Ted Roth