[avr-libc-dev] Handling of ChangeLog

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Handling of ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 00:07:22 +0200

Well, after committing quite some of the recent doc changes, i must
say that i find the ChangeLog handling a nuisance.  Given that
ChangeLog tends to grow out of bounds despite of not even containing
a lot of useful information that is not already in the CVS logs, and
that our project doesn't fall under GPL (which requires something
like a ChangeLog, IIRC), i'd rather suggest to do the following:

. Trim down the ChangeLog so only major feature changes (like the
  move to doxygen, the addition of the Inline Assembler Manual and
  the FAQ etc.) are mentioned.  This will then be able to provide some
  sort of `release notes' to our users so they can get a quick opinion
  about what has been changed, and whether it's worthy to install a
  new version.

. Modify the CVS scripts to collect the CVS logs into a file.  That
  file should perhaps be rotated occasionally to prevent it from
  groing beyond usability, but this would require shell access to
  the server (or some clever trickery with rsync, but that's still
  risking to collide with a CVS committ happening while the rsyncing
  is under way).

. Make the CVS messages a bit more verbose than the usual one line
  per file.  This should IMHO give other developers some insight
  about the rationale behind the change, even when reviewing the
  log after quite some time when nobody remembers anymore for why
  something has been done back in the past...  See my commit
  messages for an example (sorry for breaking with your commit
  log style here, Ted ;-).

Opinions?