avr-gcc-list

Re: [avr-gcc-list] Bizarre string problem

From: Richard Urwin
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Bizarre string problem
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:25:38 +0100

On Thursday 09 Sep 2004 1:22 pm, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> Richard Urwin <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> char t[2] = "T";
> >
> > I don't remember that being standard C.
>
> It is.  It's more commonly written as
>
> char t[] = "T";

Yes, I agree. It was the
   char t[1]="T"
I was questioning, since "T" is inherently 2 bytes long.

It might be standard C, or it may only be allowed on some compilers. I
don't have a copy of K&R to check.

Whichever, using it should probably follow the two rules of
optimisation...

1. Don't do it.
2. (For experts only) Don't do it now.

...since having a C string that doesn't have a \0 terminator is likely
to cause confusion somewhere down the line.

--
Richard Urwin