automake

Re: GCC reporting piped input as a security feature (was: GNU Coding Sta

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GCC reporting piped input as a security feature (was: GNU Coding Standards, automake, and the recent xz-utils backdoor)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 18:29:45 -0400

  > While it does not /prevent/ cracks, there is something we can ensure
  > that we *keep* doing:  GCC, when reading from a pipe, records the input
  > file as "<stdin>" in debug info *even* if a "#" directive to set the
  > filename has been included.  This was noticed by Adrien Nader (who
  > posted it to oss-security;
  > <URL:https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2024/04/03/2> and
  > <URL:https://marc.info/?l=oss-security&m=171214932201156&w=2>; those are
  > the same post at different public archives) and should provide a
  > "smoking gun" test to detect this type of backdoor dropping technique in
  > the future.  This GCC behavior should be documented as a security
  > feature, because most program sources are not read from pipes.

Are you suggesting fixing GCC to put the specified file into those
linenumbers, or are you suggesting we keep this behavior
to help with analysis?

In principle it could be posible to output something different to
describe this stramge situation explicitly.  For instance, output "via
stdin" as a comment, or output `stdin/../filename' as the file name.
(Programs that optimize the file name by deleting XXX/.../ are likely
not to check whether XXX is a real directory.)

Are the GCC developers discussing these questions?  If not, please
send them a bug report about this so they start doing so.