automake

Re: Help with -Werror

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Help with -Werror
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:34:42 -0400

Hello,

On 2019-04-24, Phillip Susi <address@hidden> wrote:
> It seems like every time I go back to try to do somoe work on the parted
> sources I run into a failure to compile due to some silly warning or
> other and -Werror being enabled.  This time it is from a generated
> source file made by gperf.  Is this set by default these days in
> automake?  Because I can not figure out how it is being used.
> Makefile.am does not seem to have anything to turn it on.  Makefile sets
> CFLAGS_WERROR=-Werror, but I can see nothing that references
> CFLAGS_WERROR anywhere.  How does this variable end up being passed to
> gcc?
>
> I am tempted to just disable -Werror completely, but at the very least
> it should be disabled for BUILT_SOURCES since you can't really fix the
> warnings there.  Any advice on how to do this?

Automake does not add -Werror to the default C compiler flags, and it
does not do anything with a CFLAGS_WERROR variable.

If that is happening for a particular package, then it is because the
package authors did something to make it happen.  So probably any
questions about it happening in parted should be taken up with the
parted maintainer(s)...

For the most part, -Werror is a developer tool which will only cause
problems for users, so my strong recommendation is that it should
never appear in package releases, but not everybody subscribes to
that philosophy...

Cheers,
  Nick