automake

Is it possible to set the permission bits used by the default install ta

From: Craig Sanders
Subject: Is it possible to set the permission bits used by the default install target in a Makefile.am?
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 00:46:29 +1100

Hello.

Is it possible to set the permission bits used by the default install
target in a Makefile.am?

To help try and illustrate what I mean, I present a code snippet from one
of my Makefie.am files.

gimpdir = ${prefix}

gimp_SCRIPTS = scaleAndSetSize.py \
               ScaleAndSetSizeClass.py

.PHONY: install
install:

    mkdir -p ${prefix}
    ${INSTALL} -m 544 scaleAndSetSize.py ${prefix}
    ${INSTALL} -m 444 ScaleAndSetSizeClass.py ${prefix}

<<<<<<<<<< End code snippet <<<<<<<<<<

My problem with this code snippet is - I don't like the fact that I have
overridden the default install target to get the files installed with the
permission bits set the way I want. Rather, I'd like to have the default
install target do the install work for me, using permission bits that I
would like to specify. Does anybody know if this is possible?

I believe in Autoconf you can do something similar to the following;

AC_CONFIG_FILES([scaleAndSetSize.py], [chmod a+x scaleAndSetSize.py])

If there was something in Automake like the following;

AM_INSTALL_PERMS([scaleAndSetSize.py], [544],
                 [ScaleAndSetSizeClass.py], [444])

then this might be able to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.