automake

Re: [Automake-NG] Removal of INCLUDES in favour of AM_CPPFLAGS

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] Removal of INCLUDES in favour of AM_CPPFLAGS
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:10:33 +0100

Hi Russ, thanks for the feedback.

On 02/01/2013 07:38 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Stefano Lattarini <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So, is anyone using or playing with Automake-NG, or at least
>> contemplating the idea to do so in the short term?  Or should we just
>> let the project die?
>
> I'm not personally using it or playing with it yet, but I like the idea of
> rethinking the project and eliminating historic cruft and old workarounds.
> I also agree with assuming GNU make; I think it's now hard to find a
> system that doesn't have GNU make, and it seems likely it will, in the
> long run, allow you to generate much more efficient build systems.  Also,
> you seemed to be having fun with it, and I think that's important!

I'm happy to read this :-)

> To be honest, the main reason why I've not already started playing with it
> is that it's not packaged for Debian, which is enough of a hurdle that I
> haven't found the time to fiddle with it.

Debian's attitude is perfectly understandable here, since the package is
still at an alpha status, and hasn't seen any release or pre-release yet.

Which makes me think that forcing users to bootstrap the project from a
Git branch hidden in Automake's repository in order to use it might be
hampering their willingness to give it a try.  It's probably time to
separate for good Automake-NG from mainline Automake, and to issue some
early alpha releases.  Not sure when I'll have time to do this properly
though ...

Thanks,
  Stefano