automake

Do not distribute files in python_PYTHON primary?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Do not distribute files in python_PYTHON primary?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:55:53 -0600

The library project I am maintaining has various language bindings
generated by the Swig package.  Each of the language bindings are
enabled by an Automake conditional.  As there were various files being
generated no matter if a language binding was enabled or not, I've set
about trying to correct that behavior.

In the Python block the Makefile.am uses the python_PYTHON primary.
However, this seems to force the file listed with that primary to be a
distributed source file.  However, this file should not be generated
until the optional Python binding is built along with the rest of the
library.  Distributing it is incorrect in our case as the file is
useless without the built library.  However, not using the python_PYTHON
primary results in an unusable installation when the binding is built
and installed (or I'd have to do that manually, I suppose).

Is there a way to use the python_PYTHON primary but not distribute the
file(s) in its list?

I can supply the Makefile.am fragments if needed.

- Nate