automake

Re: Splitting "make check" into separate build and run targets

From: Björn Stenberg
Subject: Re: Splitting "make check" into separate build and run targets
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:03:07 +0100

Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> You could add a dummy dependency for these missing sources, so that make
> won't try to rebuild them (and fail, because there are no rules to do so):

Yay, that is a neat workaround which I hadn't seen before.

However, this requires me to create a custom input for each package (and
potentially each version). That is a maintenance burden similar to patching
every package.

In contrast, updating check.am to split check into build/run is forward and
backward compatible and doesn't have to be adapted to changes in the test
suites.

Is there a downside I'm not seeing?

--
Björn