automake

Re: not running a make rule if distcheck is called

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: not running a make rule if distcheck is called
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:45:43 -0400

On 2012-08-19 09:37 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> Hey
>
> First, what follows is specific to a library that will be compiled
> only on Windows.
>
> Because of libtool, I have to remove .la files when installing this
> library. I use:
>
> install-data-hook:
>       rm -f $(libdir)/libevil.la $(libdir)/libdl.la
>
> but when I call the distcheck rule, the uninstall of my files fails
> (it's normal). I get:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/torri/svnroot/evil/evil-1.6.99/_build'
> ERROR: files left after uninstall:
> ./bin/libdl-1.dll
> ./bin/libevil-1.dll
> ./lib/libdl.a
> ./lib/libdl.dll.a
> ./lib/libevil.a
> ./lib/libevil.dll.a
> make[1]: *** [distuninstallcheck] Error 1
>
> I would like to know if it's possible to not run the install-data-hook
> rule if distcheck is called.

I'm afraid I don't understand your motivations.  Distcheck is telling
you that your "make uninstall" rule is broken.  Why are you trying to
gag distcheck instead of fixing the problem it reports?  If you don't
want to listen to distcheck, why bother running it at all?

I assume (without testing) that the broken uninstall is directly caused
by your deleting the .la files, and thus libtool --mode=uninstall no
longer works.  Therefore, if you want to keep this configuration, and
have a working "make uninstall", I imagine you should add an
uninstall-local rule to delete the leftover files.  Something
like:

  uninstall-local:
        rm -f "$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/libdl-1.dll"
        rm -f "$(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libdl.a"