automake

Re: configure can't find doc/Makefile.in

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: configure can't find doc/Makefile.in
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:10:04 +0100

Hi Adrienne.

On Friday 17 December 2010, Adrienne Thompson wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I'm running Debian Lenny GNU/Linux 5.0 on a pentium 3, and I've
> installed the latest autotools.

Which versions exactly?  I assume autoconf 2.68 and automake 1.11.1,
but it would help you were explicit about this.

> I've just created a doc subdirectory for a .texi manual in my current
> project build. Configure appears to have no problem creating the
> Makefiles for all subdirectories. However, running "make distcheck"
> terminates with the error message:
>
> "config.status: error: cannot find input file: 'doc/Makefile.in' "
>
> Installation of the resulting tarball produces an installation with
> missing directories. I've done a fair bit of googling but have been
> unable to resolve the problem. Would you be kind enough to give me some
> pointers?
>

> Here are the logs:
>
> address@hidden:~/project$ ./configure

> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking for g95... g95
> checking whether the Fortran compiler works... yes
> checking for Fortran compiler default output file name... a.out
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... yes
> checking whether g95 accepts -g... yes
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating src/Makefile
> config.status: creating doc/Makefile
> config.status: creating logo/Makefile
>

> address@hidden:~/project$ make distcheck 2> distcheckerrorlog
> address@hidden:~/project$ more distcheckerrorlog
>
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: `doc/Makefile.in'
> make: *** [distcheck] Error 1
>

> I believe the distcheck "Error 1" is due to files left behind in the
> build directory, which I'll have to write additional "clean" rules for
> in the Makefiles.
>
> viper-2

- What is the content of you configure.ac and of your Makefile.am files?
- What is the list of files in your source tree (or a relevant excerpt
  thereof)?
- What is the *whole* output you obtained from "make distcheck"?

Without such information, it's very hard if not impossible to help you.
Please post the required information here, and we'll probably be able
to be more helpful.

Regards,
   Stefano