automake

Re: build .o files to specific directory using automake

From: Dave Hart
Subject: Re: build .o files to specific directory using automake
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:38:19 +0000

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 01:31 UTC, S.C. Leung <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here is the structure of the project:
> project root
>  -- src/
>  |     |
>  |     -- Many subdirectories/ ...
>  -- build/
>  -- srcipts/
>        -- configure script
>        -- other tools
>
> when user run ./configure all object files should be generated under build/
> directory with the same directory structure of src/ directory.

You don't seem to have read any of the replies.  The build directory
is not an attribute of the project layout, it is the user's choice.

> Here's two problems:
> 1. cause usually configure is put under project root, configure even
> couldn't generate Makefile properly.

And you're shooting yourself in the foot putting the configure script
anywhere but the project root.  That is where people are going to look
for it, and while I don't know that you can't make it work, I am
wondering why you feel it is important to be different from every
other Automake and Autoconf client in this regard.

> 2. I think SUB/DIR/ you mentioned above can only be set by VPATH build. That
> means I need to write another script to change current directory and run
> configure there, right?

Only if you insist on swimming against the current.

> I know the structure is weird. I just wonder if automake and autoconf can
> reach there by simply setting some variables.

But you have not explained to the list why you feel the wierd
structure is warranted.  Why don't you get things going the way that's
recommended, first, get some experience, and then starting making
dictates that break POLA after you're less likely to be shooting
yourself in the foot?

Cheers,
Dave Hart