automake

Re: AM_PROG_AS

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AM_PROG_AS
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 22:02:45 +0100

* NightStrike wrote on Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 03:11:19PM CET:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * NightStrike wrote on Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 08:18:14PM CET:
> >> Using AM_PROG_AS seems to set AS to 'as' instead of $host-as.  Is this
> >> another case of user error, or is this an automake bug?
> >
> > AM_PROG_AS does not set AS.  This macro is 10 lines long, you could
> > easily have verified that by looking at it.
>
> Sorry, but I'm not that smart :(

Hey, not knowing or understanding third-party code bases is very much
acceptable, and has little to do with being smart.  On a more abstract
note, it is never a problem to ask even basic questions on a list like
this one, provided that you demonstrate a reasonable effort to find out
yourself and are willing to learn; where "reasonable" can be very low
for newbies; you're not that new here, are you.  ;-)

In this case,
  info Automake --index AM_PROG_AS

could have helped you, and searching for AM_PROG_AS in the aclocal.m4
file of a package of yours that uses it could have provided a hint as
well.

> I said that it "seems" to, since I just kept removing macros until AS
> stopped being defined.

That sounds like a good, if somewhat expensive strategy to me.

> Maybe I don't even need AS.  Do you know
> if I can pass in the $(CCAS) that AM_PROG_AS sets according to the
> manual into dlltool's --as option?  If CCAS is just set to gcc, will
> dlltool be able to handle that?  Or is this getting just way too far
> off topic, and I should just try it myself or go to the binutils list?

I think dlltool --as really want's an assembler, not the compiler
driver.  But I only gathered that from looking at its manpage now.

Cheers,
Ralf