automake

Re: pattern rules

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: pattern rules
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:05:34 +0100

* Ralf Hemmecke wrote on Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:49:35AM CET:
pattern rules are forbidden by automake, but I have the following problem.

They are not forbidden.  They are unportable to non-GNU make, and
automake may not fully understand them, but other than that, there
is no problem (and there shouldn't be a problem with your rules).

Really? Then I am doing something wrong. In fact, I don't (currently) care about all the different make versions. "configure" looks for GNU-make and should abort if it doesn't find it.

After "configure" I would be free to use some GNU extensions, but how do I tell automake about it.

I have now put the rule

%.abc: %.xyz
        cp $< $@

into Makefile.am and started "autoreconf".

Not it tells me.

Makefile.am:8: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

What should I do?

Is there something wrong with

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall -Werror])

?