automake

Circular dependencies and test programs

From: Michael B Allen
Subject: Circular dependencies and test programs
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:27:28 -0400

Hi,

I have two libraries liba and libb. I would like liba to call a
function in libb but libb is linked with liba. So I have a circular
dependency. Normally this is not a problem because the linker doesn't
try to resolve dependencies when linking libraries.

But here's the problem: liba uses libtool / automake and builds a
number of test programs not just by configure but by liba's test suite
and the linker *does* try to resolve depenencies in that case.
Meaning, if I try to build an executable with liba it says it needs
libb but libb needs liba.

So what do I do?

Is there a way to tell configure "don't build executables"?

Mike