automake

Re: Modify Output to look like Linux Kernel

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Modify Output to look like Linux Kernel
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:27:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:

What I was originally suggesting is that I think there is literally
thousands, to tens of thousands of people that would appreciate it if
the automake output could be configurable when they do, ./configure &&
make.

This may be true, but if an option is provided to reduce output, the default should be fully verbose as things are now. Furthermore, it is useful if the option is supplied via a make parameter rather than a configure option since otherwise it is necessary to reconfigure the entire package in order to diagnose a build issue.

I would be happy with

  make VERBOSE=quiet

or somesuch.

Bob