automake

RE: no .deps directory generated

From: David Byron
Subject: RE: no .deps directory generated
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:25:28 -0800

On Monday, January 8 @ 11:05a, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> * David Byron wrote on Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 07:40:02PM CET:
> > I'm having trouble getting a .deps directory generated when
> I think it
> > should.  As a result, I see this error:
> >
> > Makefile:357: .deps/TestECVersion.Po: No such file or directory
> [...]
> > where configure.ac lives in agent and contains:
> >
> > AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile util/Makefile
> > util/tests/Makefile:config/cppunit.mk.in:util/tests/Makefile.in
> > testmain/Makefile])
>
> What's in config/cppunit.mk.in and what in util/tests/Makefile.am?
> I'm assuming the latter file exists, otherwise automake would have
> no business in util/tests.

I've attached them both.

> Please note that automake does see the contents of config/cppunit.mk.

I think you mean automake _doesn't_ see config/cppunit.mk.in...See below for
why I did things this way.

> If you meant that otherwise, then do
>   AC_CONFIG_FILES([util/tests/Makefile]
>
> (without the colon-separated other files), and just put
>   include $(top_srcdir)/config/cppunit.mk
>
> in util/tests/Makefile.am.

This seems much more straightforward, but unfortunately cppunit.mk.in
contains an if statement that's meant for make, but it confuses automake:

cppunittest: buildtest
ifneq ($(TIMEDRUN),)
        $(LDLIB_OVERRIDE) $(TIMEDRUN) $(TIMEDRUN_TIMEOUT)
./testrunner$(EXE_EXT) $(TESTARGS)
else
        $(LDLIB_OVERRIDE) ./testrunner$(EXE_EXT) $(TESTARGS)
endif

I tried to come up with a way to get around this either using a proper
automake conditional or doing something at configure time, but the idea is
to run:

$ make test

and optionally define TIMEDRUN on the command line...

Thanks again for your help.

-DB