automake

Re: warning about GNU make extension with automake 1.10

From: Daniel Leidert
Subject: Re: warning about GNU make extension with automake 1.10
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:21:15 +0100

Am Sonntag, den 07.01.2007, 12:53 +0100 schrieb Thomas Porschberg:

> I upgraded automake from 1.9.6 to 1.0 and get some
> warnings about make-rules which are GNU make extensions.
> I would like to remove the warnings.

You can make them "disappear" using
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wno-portablity]) or
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = -Wno-portability

> One warning is about:
>
> %.cpp: %.h %.ui
>       $(UIC) -o $@ -i $^
>
> gives
> ... `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension

You could try a suffix rule

SUFFIXES = .cpp .h .ui

.h.cpp:
        $(UIC) -o $@ -i $^ $*.ui

Shall work. Give it a try.

> and another
>
> BUILT_SOURCES = \
>               $(filter %.qm,$(TRANSLATIONS:%.ts=%.qm))
>
> gives
>
>  ... filter %.qm,$(TRANSLATIONS: non-POSIX variable name
>  ... (probably a GNU make extension)

I think, $(filter ...) is not necessary here. $(TRANSLATIONS:%.ts=%.qm)
should already do, what you want and only contain .qm files - except the
case that $(TRANSLATIONS) contains files with extensions != .ts. In this
case you can only avoid your filter by putting only files with .ts
extension into the TRANSLATIONS variable (splitting the TRANSLATIONS
variable into several variables).

> Can someone give me an advice how to rewrite the make rules ?

HTH

Regards, Daniel