automake

Re: LDADD and linker options like --whole-archive

From: Marc Alff
Subject: Re: LDADD and linker options like --whole-archive
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:41:17 -0700

Hi Stefan

Stefan Puiu wrote:

So, my problem is that for some reason in our projects some libraries
*have* to be linked in using a --whole-archive/--no-whole-archive wrap
around them. I also use --start-group/--end-group when I have to add a
long list of libraries (dozens) and I don't want to waste time trying
to put them in the right order.

A possible way to force code to be presented to the linker is to use
partial linking ("relocatables"), instead of regular libraries,
so that unreferenced symbols are preserved along the way,
and order does not matter (since internal links are resolved).

Please look at the following threads, as the proposal described there might be of interest to you.

Automake _RELOCATABLE enhancement :

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2006-03/msg00042.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2006-03/msg00086.html

Libtool patch (bug fixes) :

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2006-04/msg00007.html

Automake patch (enhancement) :

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2006-03/msg00051.html

If that seems like a possible solution, please let me know :
it might convince me to actually finish the automake patch (for shared objects)
and write the documentation :-)

Cheers,
Marc Alff.