automake

Re: Linking dynamic AND static with the same lt-libraries

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Linking dynamic AND static with the same lt-libraries
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:32:51 +0100

* Roesner Thomas wrote on Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:28:54AM CET:

> > On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 04:25:42PM +0100, Roesner Thomas wrote:
> > > The point is, that I want to build all programs with shared libraries,
> > > but one with static libraries, wich are based on the same sourcecode
> > > than the shared libraries. Adding "myprog_LDFLAGS = -all-static" does
> > > not work.
> >
> > Could you perhaps elaborate what you mean by "does not work"?
>
> "does not work" means, that the linker can find all refered symbols in
> the dynamic scenario, but that there are some unresolved symbols in
> the static scenario.
>
> Looking in subdir/.libs/mylib.a shows the required symbols in the text
> area of the library.

The most likely issue is that with static libraries, you need to specify
them in the correct order: undefined symbols from libraries early in the
command line will, if not yet found in any of the pulled-in objects, be
searched only in later objects/libraries.  If you libraries depend on
one another mutually, you may even have to specify some more than once,
and also fiddle with libtool's --preserve-dup-deps.

Or there may always be a bug, who knows.  In order to be able to say
more, you need to show more.  For example, a small example that
reproduces the issue.

Cheers,
Ralf