automake

Re: release and test targets

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: release and test targets
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 22:45:06 +0100

Hello Brendan,

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 04:18:10PM -0500, Jacobs, Brendan D. wrote:
> We'd like to be able to do "make test" and
> "make release", and have automake just make the make release libraries
> and programs versus using test programs, respectively.  Is there any
> support for user-specified targets?  Or, can you recommend another way
> to accomplish this w/ the current 1.92 version of automake?

It depends on the difference between test and release. For us, it is
compiler and configure options. I usually "./configure CFLAGS=-O0". For
test, I "make". For release, I could "make CFLAGS=-O2 prefix=/usr
sysconfdir=/etc localstatedir=/var" (although I don't, since the release
is for another architecture and is packaged). If this suits your needs,
you could add something like the following to your Makefile.am:

release:
        $(MAKE) CFLAGS=-O2 prefix=/usr sysconfdir=/etc localstatedir=/var

> By the way, beside release builds, we're after a decrease in build time.
> We'd really like the "make release" to shorten our build time by only
> building the non-test directories.

It depends on your directory structure and the way you build. We use a
single Makefile.am, "AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = dejagnu", and have
"check_PROGRAMS = testsuite/dir1/test1 testsuite/dir2/test2".

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.