automake

Automake feature request

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: Automake feature request
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:41:46 +1100

I approached the Libtool maintainers with this request, who convinced me that
Automake was the right place to implement this.  I would like Automake-generated
Makefiles to pass --quiet to libtool when make is invoked with -s.

At present, even when compiling with make -s, libtool echoes the commands it is
compiling/linking with.  Libtool can know how make is invoked, by MAKEFLAGS,
but it
really ought not to be doing this, as libtool might not be invoked via make.
Automake's generated Makefiles sit in between and I believe this is the right
place
to glue in the logic.

Comments?

Ben