automake

Re: Error because README is missing

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Error because README is missing
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 01:15:44 +0200

Hi Paul,

>>> "Paul" == Paul Smith <address@hidden> writes:

 Paul> In the GNU make package I don't have a README file when
 Paul> it is first checked out from CVS.  There is a README.in
 Paul> which is translated into a README, replacing the version
 Paul> info etc.

When and how?

 Paul> This used to work but now automake is failing:

What version(s) used to work, and which one is failing?

 Paul> Makefile.am: required file `./README' not found

 Paul> Any hints on how I can convince automake that the file
 Paul> will really be there by the time the package is already
 Paul> built, so it doesn't give this error?

I'd rather fix Automake than work around it, because this kind
of setup is expected to work already.

tests/distcom3.test seems to cover exactly your case, and does
not produce any error.  Maybe you could modify it to show how to
reproduce your problem?
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz