automake

Re: readme-alpha option and .90 pretests

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: readme-alpha option and .90 pretests
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:37:55 -0400

    Perhaps you should tell the people behind:

The "gnit-picker gang", like I said, was a few friends, not an official
group of any kind.  I was one of them.

    http://www.amath.washington.edu/~lf/tutorials/autoconf/gnits/gnits.html

Ah.  It's been enough years that I'd forgotten that François (Pinard)
had made up a skeleton gnits document, augmenting and with the same
layout as the GNU coding standards.  It was never supposed to be
published.

I don't see any email addresses at http://www.amath.washington.edu/~lf,
so I can't write to him/her asking to remove it.  I don't know who lf
is, none of the gnits'ers have those initials.  In any case, I'd guess
it's been copied to a zillion places by now.

All I can say is, again, the Gnits "standards" aren't real.  Automake
should just follow the GNU coding standards.  If you don't believe me,
you can write to address@hidden (a mailing list and domain that I
maintain/own, by the way :).

Note that even if you accept that document (which is fine, for what it
is), it says GNU standards take precedence by a mile.

Thanks,