automake

Re: bootstrap prob

From: Patrick Welche
Subject: Re: bootstrap prob
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:55:12 +0000

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:48:27AM +0100, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  Patrick> With cvs code from now:
>  Patrick> % sh bootstrap
>  Patrick> Bareword "am__installdirs" not allowed while "strict subs" in use
> at ./automake.tmp line 4742.
>  Patrick> BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at ./automake.tmp
> line 7682.

Hello Alexandre!

> Which version of Perl is this?

v5.6.0, and you guessed right: everything passes/works happily on a
perl v5.8.0rc2 machine. Copying the automake directory over from it to the
v5.6.0 gets the error. In fact, simply ./automake gives the above error (no
need for the "bootstrap" part)

> I don't understand what you mean.

Just trying to work out how such variables are meant to be used.. all the
other am__* variables seem to appear in a "define_variable","subst", or
"variable_value", just not am__installdirs.

> I think Perl is just asking for quote around am__installdirs,
> although I don't know why.

Hmm and why one perl rather than another..

Cheers,

Patrick