automake

Re: make: you guys are gawds

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: make: you guys are gawds
Date: 09 May 2001 15:54:24 -0600

>>>>> "Stephan" == Stephan Beal <address@hidden> writes:

Stephan> I now sometimes wonder if automake's output (or even required
Stephan> user inputs, like all source and header filenames) couldn't
Stephan> be cut drastically by simply taking advantage of more of
Stephan> make's features

Unfortunately, no.  Automake is targeted at the (mostly) portable
subset of make, which is much smaller than what GNU make supports.

If we had a good build tool, and didn't have to rely on make, then we
wouldn't really need automake at all.  (Ideally I'd prefer something
even better than GNU make.)

Stephan> Thank you! You are Gawds. Let me know which of you wants my
Stephan> first child and I'll ship it to you as soon as it gets here.

I think Akim does.

Tom